Since Donald Trump became president, I’ve heard the following kinds of statements from friends, neighbors, and co-workers:
“I voted and there’s nothing more that I can do.”
“I am depressed and don’t know what to do.”
“I am angry but I don’t know what steps to take.”
“I am frightened to speak out.”
These statements are #SAD!
I hasten to remind you that Democracy is not a spectator sport. Take your protein pill, put your helmet on, and get ready to fight as though your life and your country depend on it. Fight the disdain for the Constitution and its checks and balances. Fight the disdain for human rights, the scapegoating, sexism, racism, xenophobia, the intertwining of government and religion, the attempt to control the mass media, the protection of corporate power, the suppression of labor power, the rampant cronyism and corruption. Resist! Resist! Resist!
Don’t know how? Here are 14 things you can do to resist the Trump agenda.
- Watch Robert Reich’s “Resistance Report.” It’s live on Facebook every weeknight at 5 p.m. Pacific time. Reich, a professor at the University of California at Berkeley, author of 14 books, and former labor secretary under Bill Clinton, does a masterful job every weeknight of summing up the day’s dizzying blizzard of Trump-related news, providing action items, and answering questions from listeners. His job, he says, is to connect the dots, to show the patterns. His report will light a fire under you and make you want to call your elected officials. Watch it live or recorded on Facebook here. If you’re not on Facebook, you can watch it one day later on YouTube.
- Visit http://www.5calls.org and sign up for weekly email alerts. You spend 5 minutes to make 5 calls to Congress. This is so easy, folks. After you receive your email alert, choose what’s important to you (e.g., “Reject the Muslim Ban,” “Prevent the Dismantling of the EPA,” “Protect the Separation of Church and State.”) Choose your issue, provide your zip code, and the website will display your senator or rep, their phone numbers, and a short script to read to them. Calls are tallied. So far, this open-source and volunteer-made website has generated 426,580 calls.
- Bookmark the Elected Officials website. Here on one web page is the way to get in touch with everyone including the president, U.S. senators, U.S. representatives, state governors, state legislators, U.S. mayors, county executives, and other local government officials. Use this website with your smartphone, and you can simply click once to make a phone call. Busy signal? Send email through the provided website link instead. One recent Sunday morning, I used the Elected Officials website to call 30 Republican senators to express opposition to a cabinet nominee.
- Join Meetup.com and join a resistance group. Not familiar with Meetup.com? It’s an amazing, worldwide platform that allows you to “find your people” by typing in your zip code and interests. Now in addition to finding people in your area who like gardening, hiking, or dating, you can find people in your area who want to resist the Trump agenda. Just type in your zip code and #resist.
- Pony up to support the press. The Trump administration attacks the press, calls them “liars,” “the enemy,” “fake news.” Nope. The Free Press is one of the many important checks and balances against the Executive Branch. The Founding Fathers wrote it into the Constitution: “Congress shall make no law … abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press …” It is more urgent than ever that you support the press. Subscribe to a reputable newspaper, news magazine, or website. Need help? Check out 10 Journalism Brands Where You Find Real Facts Rather Than Alternative Facts.
- Join the National General Strike on Feb. 17, 2017. It’s a grassroots movement in defense of The Constitution. Don’t go to work (unless absolutely necessary). Do not spend any money (unless absolutely necessary). Clearly, you’ll need to use your judgment on this one.
- Donate to the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). This is the national organization that works in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution. The ACLU has been at the center of nearly every major civil liberties battle in the U.S. for nearly 100 years. The ACLU on Feb. 7 filed a new federal lawsuit challenging President Trump’s Muslim ban executive order, charging it violates the Constitution. The ACLU has a 7-point action plan to take on the Trump administration. Many people are getting on board. Since Trump was elected, the ACLU has seen its membership double to 1 million members.
- Require Donald Trump to release his tax returns. How else will we confirm that Trump has financial ties to Russia, or that he is using the presidency for his own personal gain and therefore in violation of the Constitution? Americans for Tax Fairness and Daily Kos have started a petition in support of Senator Ron Wyden’s bill, the “Presidential Tax Transparency Act,” which would require Trump and any future presidential nominees to release their tax returns. You can sign it here.
- Bookmark the Resistance Calendar. You’ll find events from coast to coast, including opportunities to defend immigrant rights, support Planned Parenthood, attend the General Nationwide Strike on Feb. 17, march for Black Lives Matter, or join a Tax March in your city to show Trump that he owes us transparency. You’ll also find details on the various science marches that are happening nationwide. Start your own resistance event and add it to the calendar.
- Voice your opposition to Steve Bannon. The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is dedicated to fighting hate and bigotry and to seeking justice for the most vulnerable members of our society. The SPLC recently announced that the Senate Committee on Homeland Security was taking and tallying calls about Steve Bannon’s appointment to the National Security Council (NSC). Call (202) 224-4751. Tell the committee that you believe no individual whose primary responsibility is political in nature should be allowed on the NSC or authorized to attend its meetings. Partisan politics have no place in our national security.
- Demand that Twitter shut down Trump’s Twitter account for numerous violations of its rules. Trump has weaponized his Twitter account, using it to insult 300 people, places, and things. One of his tweets set off threats and harassing phone calls to a steelworker union chief. Another tweet set off harassment of an 18-year-old college student who had the audacity to speak up at a political forum. He is using Twitter to harm people, shut people down, to try to stop dialogue, to discourage dissent. This is called tyranny. Sign the petition here.
- Donate to environmental groups. The new Whitehouse.org website under the Trump administration removed all references to “climate change.” Might I recommend that you donate to The Nature Conservancy? Its mission is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. Donations support the work of 600 scientists who impact conservation in 69 countries. Or donate to The Sierra Club, the organization that helped pass The Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and the Endangered Species Act. If you have a favorite environmental group, help it out now.
- Boycott Trump products. The website Grab Your Wallet is updated daily with a list of companies to boycott and why. Not only does this website mention the obvious Trump hotels and golf courses, but retailers that raised money for Trump or currently carry his daughter’s products. The goal of the boycott is to motivate the companies on the list to stop doing business with the Trump family.
- Fight for impeachment. The Impeach Donald Trump Now movement has already begun. Three-quarters of a million people have already joined the campaign calling on Congress to impeach the president for violating the U.S. Constitution. Sign the petition. Call or write your representatives using the Elected Officials website and ask them to co-sponsor the impeachment resolution.
This list of 14 action items above is by no means an exhaustive list of ways to resist the Trump agenda. Do you have a creative action alert you’d like to share? How about a charming little act of non-violent civil disobedience? Please post it in the comments below.
Resist! Resist! Resist!